Inside Congenital Heart Surgery At Texas Children’s Hospital

We hope you enjoy this brief look inside Texas Children’s Heart Center.

For more than 50 years, the Heart Center has been organized around the principle that success in pediatric cardiac care is achieved by surrounding patients with a highly skilled team of experts at every turn — from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up.

The Congenital Heart Surgery Service at Texas Children’s Hospital offers a comprehensive surgical program that provides every procedure available to treat pediatric heart diseases and defects ranging from the standard to the most complex. We care for children of all ages, including preterm and low-birth-weight newborns, tailoring procedures and treatments to the specific needs of each individual child and family.

As a nationally-recognized leader in pediatric heart care, Texas Children’s Heart Center strives to provide the very best possible outcomes for all of our cardiac patients.

About Dr. Charles D. Fraser, Jr., Surgeon-in-Chief

I am the surgeon-in-chief, chief of Congenital Heart Surgery, and cardiac surgeon-in-charge at Texas Children’s Hospital.

I came to Texas Children’s Hospital in July of 1995 to establish a dedicated congenital heart surgery program. I've served as the chief of the Congenital Heart Surgery Service since that time.

Posted in Heart, Leadership, Surgery, Videos

20 Responses to Inside Congenital Heart Surgery At Texas Children’s Hospital

1. Jessie says:

This is very amazing and informative- I truly liked seeing all that’s behind the scenes. This blog has come at a good time for me. As my pediatrician recommended my two year old gets a heart check up for a slight murmur. I know now to take her to TCH.

• Ellen says:

You will be glad you did. My ‘heart kid’, born with a series of complex congenital heart defects, is now 19 years old thanks to the amazing doctors and nurses at TCH. They don’t come any better or any more compassionate. Best of luck to you.

2. michelle robinson says:

OMG!! This has to be one of the MOST enlightening things TCH has posted! My child has had not one, not two, but THREE open heart surgeries! I have either met or have had as her surgeon everyone that was interviewed, except for Dr. Morales (and I’ve heard PLENTY of people give him the highest of accolades!) These are THE most exceptionally talented, compassionate and life AFFIRMING people (and not just because they are doctors) that I have had the pleasure of meeting and being associated with. These angels of mercy are why God put them on the planet…to take care of the little ones (and the BIG ones, like me) that need that support and love! Sincerely, Michelle Robinson…mom to Alanna Michelle Lucas

3. Corina Canizales says:

Born with congenital heart disease, I had heart surgery 40 years ago and technology was far from what it is today. I was operated by Dr. Denton A. Cooley, top heart surgeon around. I was told I would not see my first birthday because of my complicated heart failure. I’m hear today to at42 years to tell everyone because of the great team of doctors and my all mighty God, I am still alive today! I have undergone open heart surgery, a double by-pass, a heart ablation, and many many more other heart procedures. Seeing this video makes me realize how blessed and fortunate I am to be alive today and live such a wonderful happy life in Christ!!!

4. Tanya Hernandez says:

Thank you for Sharing!
    This video will be shared with family and friends, most of the proffesionals in this video have shared their talent with my daughter I feel very blessed to have chosed the right place, to have the right Proffesional Team help my daughter Leia Marie Hernandez, she has overcame her 4th surgery with great success, she is now in comfort at home, (Mission, TX).. ..
    A special Thank’s to Dr. Dean McKenzi and his Team for job well done!
    God Bless you! •*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.•*¨*••*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.•*¨*••*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.•*¨*••*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.•*¨*••*¨*•.¸¸♥¸¸.•*¨*•

5. Sherry Johnson (Tyler Dodson) says:

Thank you Dr.Heinle…This was the best video….One year on the 23 of this month was my son, Tyler’s surgery.Aortic Valve replacement (St.Jude Valve) The doctors, nurses and staff were GREAT…5 STARS for everyone…. He is now 19 and still will contine to be a Texas Children’s patient…. Heart Hugs to them….Sherry Johnson ;)

6. Jack H says:

I had open heart surgery in December of 1995 by Dr. Fraser and another surgery in 2007, and my case was complicated back then, with not many survivors, but he fixed my problem, and now I am a healthy 15 year old with no complications! He is the best surgeon ever! This was a great video to see behind the scenes. Thank you so much Dr. Fraser!

7. Amy Green says:

Dr Fraser and his team are the best. This video is awesome. Their dedication to these children is amazing. Dr Fraser has been there when my boys have needed him. We will always be grateful to his amazing team! Thanks!!!

8. GH James says:

It is great. What type of equipment is used for heart surgery in your hospital? What type of care is to be taken after the surgery?

9. Sandra Wooten says:

Dr.Fraser and his team saved my daughters life. She was born with Transposition of the Great Arteries. At 6 days old she had her operation. The switch went well, we were told to get some coffee and we could see her for a bit. But when we came back everyone was crying (we all became close in the waiting room) the nurse ran out and took us in a room .s
    She said when they sewed her back and started pumping the blood the right side kinked.Dr.Fraser wanted to go back in.We said yes yes, The whole time worring had she been in there to long? what if this what if that? His nurse kepting coming back and forth giving updates.When all was said and done C.P.R. is now 14 and doing well.Every time I see or hear Dr.Frasers name I cry,When we see him at Texas Childrens walking down the hall, I cry,when I see my daughter on stage at school I cry. I remember when she turned one I wrote him a letter thanking his parents for having such an awesome son lol. Dr.Fraser and his team will forever be one of the very best gifts I ever received. God Bless you All. Sandra Richards

10. Sandra Wooten Richards says:

11. Jenna Strawn says:

Very timely for me. My son is going in in 2 days for his third heart surgery at TCH. Great place, wonderful people. They take good care of you and your child there, because they really do care about their patients.

• Ellen says:

Best of luck and God Bless! We’ve been there for surgery three times ourselves – been doing this since 1992. My heart kid, who was predicted to not live past two years of age, is now nineteen years old. Thanks be to God and the talented Doctors and Nurses of TCH.

12. Nepal says:

Dear Dr Fraser,
    Watched the video and found it informative. However, for a parent like me in one of the least developed countries a service of this level is just a dream.

13. Maria D Avelar says:

I’m also thankful to Dr. Frazier. He first operated my son Germán in April 2000 due to Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. He also operated him 2 more times. My son is doing wonderful thanks to the Almighty God and Dr. Frazier. I thank God all the time for putting Dr. Frazier and Tx. Children’s Hospital in our path. My son is now a very smart intelligent 11 yrs old boy and loves to play competitive soccer, his cardiologist has given him the green flag to play. He doesn’t have any limitations. Thank you to everyone at Tx children’s who have play a roll in his life.

14. Amy Smith says:

Dr. Fraser,
    What an amazing video. Not a day goes by that we are not thankful beyond words for you and the commitment and compassion you and the entire heart center team have that saved our baby Jackie’s life.

Sincerely,
    Amy and Matt Smith

15. Yang Brand says:

Thanks for this entry. Waiting for next one.

16. Alice Moore says:

This was a very enlightening video considering my niece has been diagnosed with having TGA and will need surgery after birth. She is due in March. After searching and searching and constantly being rejected this video seemed like the light at the end of the tunnel. After seeing the cross on the computer desk top of Dr. Fraser I thought “this is great, a christian man who knows he was put here by God who made him a surgeon to try and save the tiny lives that God has has blessed us with. Finally someone will help us being lead by the hands of Jesus Christ.” Unfortunately, my niece also has Trisomy 13 and once that is said her life seems to know longer be worth saving. Or even trying to save. I guess they haven’t read any current studies in children with this condition. They say that 90% of children that receive medical intervention survive.
    “Commitment to Compassion” in most cases I suppose… She only dies if she doesn’t have surgery. At least with surgery we know that everything that could have saved her life has been done and it’s in God’s hands.
    I am trying to “DEMAND the best” for her just like Dr. Michael Ruhlman recommends in this video… or at least send us to someone willing to try their best.

17. Kelly Parente says:

In the spring of 2003 we were told that our son Hunter (at the time was 3 1/2 yrs. old) had anomolous origin of the left coronary artery. A rare congenital heart defect and that he would have to have open heart surgery. As with any parent, this is one of the most devastating news you could ever get about your child. I recall meeting with Dr. Fraser regarding Hunter’s case. I was shaken and afraid. Dr. Fraser put everything into perspective when he looked me in the eyes and said “at least I can sit here today and tell you that I can help your child, there are parents that I am not always able to say that to.” In that moment I quickly realized just how blessed we really were. The process of this is not easy for anyone, but if there were ever a place that takes care not just of the patient but also the family it is Texas Childrens. The entire team was amazing, kind and compassionate to Hunter, to all of us. I am forever indebted to Dr. Fraser, Dr. Dreyer, Melissa Lewellen, Paula Barnes, Dr. Morales, Dr. Andropoulos and the rest of the cardiac team for everything that they have given back to our son and family. One memory that still stands out to me as a mom was when Hunter was heading into the OR they came out with a bed. He wanted nothing to do with that and so Dr. Andropoulos took my little boy in his Arms as if he was his own son, carefully and lovingly he carried him into the operating room. One of my nightmares was how I would deal with that very moment and when that moment came, this amazing person eased all of our fears. I will always remember that compassion that each person shared with us as parents. It was the hardest day of our lives but it was made so much easier by each of them. When we were leaving the hospital Dr. Morales saw Hunter and asked him what he was going to eat now that he gets to go home…he said “are you going to eat McDonald’s?” Hunter looked up at Dr. Morales and replied “McDonalds (with dismay), NO…I am going to Red Lobster for some SHRIMP!” this coming from a 3 year old was priceless! Melissa Lewellen was our jewel each day, I know she is not in the same setting but she too has a very special place in our hearts, no other person has a kinder, brighter smile and personality than she does and she melted our hearts! Hunter is now 13 years old and in 7th grade. He is active in Boy Scouts, Cross Country and Robotics in school. He is an honor student and has goals to attend MIT to become an engineer. We are amazingly proud of him and know that it is all possible because of the amazing doctors and staff at TCH! Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

18. That is very fascinating, You’re a very skilled blogger. Heart Center strives to provide the very best possible outcomes for all of our cardiac patients. Treatments to the specific needs of each individual child and family.